The Duarte pharmacists at Pax Pharmacy discuss eight important questions to ask your pharmacist at your next visit.
Pax Pharmacy’s Duarte Pharmacists Have Answers
There are several important questions to ask your pharmacist about each of your prescriptions as well as general questions that are important to consider. At Pax Pharmacy, we are happy to help you better understand your medications and understand medication management while in an emergency or traveling. We can help you be prepared with medication and knowledge for when you need it most.
5 Questions to Ask About Your Prescriptions
- What are the generic and brand names for my medication? Knowing the different names for your medication gives you the ability to keep track of what you are taking so there is no at-home confusion or mix-up risk with prescriptions.
- What are the intended effects and possible side effects of my medication? Knowing the intended and possible unintended effects of medication helps you understand why a specific medicine was prescribed, the intended remedy for symptoms it is used to treat, and what to watch for about side effects.
- Are there any risks with combining this medication with over-the-counter drugs, herbal medicines, vitamins, or other existing medications? Certain OTC drugs, medications, or herbs and vitamins can interact with other medications. Discussing your regular intake can prevent any problems with negative interactions.
- How long should I be taking this medication? This question can help you plan for when to stop taking your new medicine, whether you need to plan to taper off or plan for vacations or travel prescriptions. It also opens up discussion about possible long-term effects.
- How should my medication be taken? This question involves several other questions: Are there strict time adherence suggestions? Should I take it at night because it makes me sleepy or in the morning because it induces alertness? What if I miss a dose? Should I take it with food or avoid taking it with other medications?
3 General Questions to Ask Your Pharmacist
- How do I obtain an emergency supply of my medication? Some pharmacists can provide emergency refills before your refill is due, when under emergency declaration. This may be the case if you forget medication while on vacation if your medication is stolen, or in the event of a natural disaster or home emergency where your medication is affected.
- In the event of a power outage, how should I keep my refrigerated medicine cold? Typically, medications can be stored for short times in a cooler with ice packs. Be sure to keep them cold without freezing them, when possible. Discuss this with your pharmacist for your specific medication.
- How should I travel with my medication? You should always carry medication in its own, original container. Do not leave medications in the car in extreme temperatures or out where it is visible to passersby.
Our Duarte Pharmacists Can Help You Understand Your Medication
Pax Pharmacy offers a variety of services, including consultation on prescription and over-the-counter medications found at the pharmacy. Our team is here to help you understand all of the aspects of your medication so you can make educated choices and decisions moving forward. Let our team keep you informed and safe, speak with our team about your concerns and questions for each of your medications.
Call Pax Pharmacy today to speak with a Duarte pharmacist.